Monday, November 17, 2008

Recently encountered viruses/trojens

This post is dedicated to a few viruses which messes up might computer a week ago and how I managed to overcome them ( lot of gratitude to norton )

The first one was a process name ROOTDNL.exe which prevented my system from shutting down when connected to internet. Probably it was busy downloading something.

Simple cure : I searched for this exe and deleted . Of course first killed the process from task manager.

Second one was more complicated . there were a trojens .. something named Backdoor something . it was detected by symantec in some temp directories but it failed to repair(delete/quarantine) it. .

Cure: I hd to boot my system in safe mode and then scan the system. Symantec was able to fix one of them but not the other. So to remove the second I had to manually delete the file from cmd prompt and this fixed the problem.

Third one was the autorun virus which caused my drives to open in a new window when doublw clicked. It is basically bec it craetes an autorun.inf file in drives.

Cure: I found out that I had to delete these autorun.inf files ..but how ?? windows dint even show them. I then used cmd promp and I had to do an attrib -r -h -s commnad to remove the readonly, hidden and system file attributed from the file. Then i could delete it.. but it was not that easy. It was created automatically after a few secs. So now what to do ??
Again safe mode worked. I followed the same steps in safe mode and it all worked. the virus disappeared.


Enough for this post.

No comments: